The Landing, at MediaCityUK, becomes home to a new Innovation Hub and technology incubator this month as part of Vodafone’s commitment to Greater Manchester as one of seven UK gigacities.
The new hub at The Landing will give UK businesses, start-ups and tech innovators access to 5G, Internet Of Things, high-speed fibre and the very best technical resources available.
Vodafone has chosen MediaCityUK as a location for its incubator base because of its unique concentration of technology, talent and super connectivity. As MediaCityUK’s dedicated technology incubator for high-growth technology and digital start-ups, The Landing has a growing international reach and a proven track record of supporting businesses to achieve rapid growth in the digital sector so it is the ideal location for Vodafone’s new innovation hub.
Paul Dennett, City Mayor of Salford, said: “MediaCityUK is an emerging Smart City and one of the most vibrant technology hubs in the UK. With the arrival of Vodafone, it will be able to go much further and become an exemplar in the UK for how these new networks and interconnections will inform the way we manage future cities and improve the lives of our citizens in areas such as transport, energy and health.”
Jon Corner, Chief Digital Officer for City of Salford and CEO at The Landing, commented: “I’m delighted to welcome Vodafone and their partners to MediaCityUK. The new Vodafone Innovation Hub at The Landing will be a significant centre for companies across Greater Manchester and the North to test, deploy and commercialise new applications.
“It’s important to acknowledge that new technology – including 5G – is not just about faster mobile handsets. It will change significantly how we organise networks, how we transact and use data, and how we use and consume content. It will enable companies working in immersive technologies and artificial intelligence, for example, to develop completely fresh applications to daily interactions. We intend to unlock the whole of MediaCityUK to be a living lab for innovators and entrepreneurs working across such technologies.”
Stephen Wild, Managing Director, MediaCityUK, said: “Partnerships are at the heart of what MediaCityUK delivers. This announcement, featuring another major global brand, places MediaCityUK at the very forefront of innovation and enterprise in the fastest-growing technology sectors. We look forward to the team from Vodafone joining the community of 8,000 people who already call MediaCityUK their home.”
Anne Sheehan, Enterprise Director at Vodafone UK, said: “I am delighted that Vodafone, in collaboration with the Mayor of Greater Manchester and MediaCityUK, will open the Digital Innovation Hub located in the heart of this connected city. The hub at The Landing will give UK businesses, start-ups and tech innovators access to 5G, IOT, high-speed fibre and our best technical resources and we plan to roll out these innovation hubs throughout UK cities.”
Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, said: “As Vodafone’s new Digital Innovation Hub demonstrates, global organisations are fast recognising the unique opportunities Greater Manchester can provide for testing and rolling out technologies like 5G. We are the UK’s leading digital city region and we are open for business!
“Our advanced digital infrastructure, fast-growing tech sector, and world-leading university talent puts us in a perfect position to trial new technologies. We’re agile enough to get up and running quickly, but large enough to test at scale before rolling out pilots UK-wide.
“The Hub complements Vodafone’s new 5G testbed at Media City and adds to our growing digital ecosystem. With Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) opening facilities here, the new multi-university led Cyber Foundry helping local businesses build up their digital security, a digital skills Talent Pipeline programme underway, and the biggest public sector full fibre connectivity programme in the UK, Greater Manchester is rapidly fulfilling its vision of becoming a top-five European digital city region.”
Find out more about The Landing, contact us or follow on Twitter @TheLandingMCUK
About The Landing:
- The Landing is MediaCityUK’s dedicated technology incubator hub for high-growth technology & digital start-ups, scale-ups and SMEs.
- It provides Workspace (office and co-working), Incubator programmes, User Testing Labs, Barclays Eagle Labs, and our exclusive lounge and bar On The 7th, along with incredible technical infrastructure and connectivity, to ensure its 100+ companies can turn new technologies into happy, sustainable businesses
- The Landing gives digital SMEs and micro-businesses a place to work alongside large media and technology organisations, allowing them to be part of and benefit from the exciting and rapidly growing community at MediaCityUK. Spanning seven floors, The Landing combines all cross-sections of the digital creative industry to create a unique environment where SMEs can thrive. From digital workflow, post production and interactive media labs to meeting, working and social spaces, we offer everything under one roof.
- The Landing contributes more than £25m a year and 1500 jobs to the Greater Manchester economy and almost £83m to the UK economy, hosting over 10,000 delegates from all over the world every year at events, conferences, workshops and hacks.
- The Landing also has roots in community, supporting 600 jobs a year in Salford. Over 100 children from Salford schools over the past year have attended workshop sessions and over 450 Salford residents have taken part in digital skills programmes.
- MediaCityUK is a joint venture between Peel Land and Property Group and Legal and General Capital. The development is home to BBC North, ITV, the University of Salford, dock10 and The Landing, as well as a number of blue-chip companies, including Ericsson, Kellogg’s and The Hut Group. It also plays host to over 250 smaller creative and tech businesses.
- www.mediacityuk.co.uk @MediaCityUK